The Illinois State Cup is the most prestigious tournament in Illinois and the official state championship tournament of the US Youth Soccer National Championship Series. Don’t be confused by similarly named league tournaments claiming to be a "state cup" championship.
Since 1966, even before its incorporation, Illinois Youth Soccer has been conducting this official annual state competition that is part of the national US Youth Soccer National Championship Series. The Illinois State Cup provides an opportunity for approximately 350 teams in the under 12 to 19 age groups to showcase their soccer skills against the best competition. Winners of the Illinois State Cup advance to the US Youth Soccer Midwest Regional Tournament and have the opportunity to qualify for the US Youth Soccer National Championship Finals. The national finals are a culmination of a year-long series of competitions at the state and regional levels providing approximately 185,000 players on 10,000 teams from US Youth Soccer’s 55 State Associations to compete against the best teams in the nation. The Illinois State Cup is one of the largest State Cup competitions in the United States.
The Illinois State Cup is ONLY open to all Illinois Youth Soccer/US Youth Soccer competitive member teams.
FALL 2017 POWERPOINT PRESENTATION FOR PARTICIPATING TEAMS
COMMON QUESTIONS - SELECT LINK FOR ANSWERS
WHAT ARE THE STATE CUP RULES?
State Cup Rules (PDF link)
US Youth Soccer National Championship Series Rules
US Youth Soccer NCS FAQ & Info
WHAT ARE THE IMPORTANT STATE CUP DEADLINES?
Important Spring Cup Dates
- February 6: Registration deadline
- February 23: Brackets Announced
- March 16: Open Cup game change requests deadline
- April 21: Open Cup Play-In Weekend – Rockford
- April 30: Group Play Game Change Request Deadline
- May 12-13: State Cup, Presidents Cup & Illinois Cup Group Play Games – Rockford
- May 25-28: Presidents Cup & Illinois Cup Semis and Finals – Rockford
- May 25-28: State Cup Quarterfinals and Semis – Rockford
- June 2: State Cup Finals: Rockford
- June 21-26: US Youth Soccer Region II Championships, Westfield, IN
- July 23-29: US Youth Soccer National Championships: Frisco, TX
WHO CAN PLAY IN STATE CUP?
This tournament is open to any Illinois Youth Soccer Association (IYSA) currently registered team comprised of properly registered and rostered youth players that participates in an IYSA only division of an IYSA affiliated competitive league; Illinois Women's Soccer League (IWSL), Young Sportsmen's Soccer League (YSSL), Central Illinois Youth Soccer League (CIYSL), St Louis Youth Soccer Association Illinois (SLYSA) or ILLOWA; during the current soccer year. The team must be in good standing and in compliance with Illinois Youth Soccer rules and requirements.
WHAT ARE THE STATE CUP FEES?
- All teams will pay $425 ($325 for 12U) at time of applying for the tournament. That fee includes:
- Team Registration Fee $275 (All team pay )
- State Cup Round Robin Team Fee $150 (Any team eliminated prior to the round-robin stage of the event will be refunded the $150 round robin fee)
- Referee Fee $80 per team per game
- Field Rental Fee: $50 per game (paid prior) / $75 if paid day of
WHICH PLAYERS CAN BE ON MY STATE CUP ROSTER?
In 2012 Illinois Youth Soccer and the US Youth Soccer National Championship Series moved to the Club Pass system. The Club Pass allows teams to use on their State Cup roster any player from within their club that is currently registered with an Illinois Youth Soccer competitive member league. Players from outside the club are NOT ALLOWED on State Cup rosters. NO GUEST PLAYERS!
Rosters are frozen once a team plays their first game. Players can only be listed on one State Cup or Presidents Cup roster.
Players that play in the Fall Cups are ineligible to play in the Spring event.
A team may have on its team roster only players of the following age groups for the seasonal year in which the team is participating in the National Championships:
(1) For teams competing in the Under 13, Under 14, and Under 15 age groups, each player on the team must be (A) of the age of the age group competition in which the team is participating in that seasonal year, or (B) of the age in either of the next 2 younger age groups of that age group competition in which the team is participating in that seasonal year.
(2) For the teams competing in the Under 16, Under 17, Under 18, and Under 19 age groups, each player on the team must be (A) of the age of the age group competition in which the team is participating in that seasonal year, or (B) of the age of any younger age group, through the Under 14 age group, of that age group competition in which the team is participating in that seasonal year.
HOW ARE SEEDS DETERMINED?
For Under-12 there is NO SEEDING in State Cup
For Under-13, seeds are determined as follows*
- #1- #8: Determined by the Fall results of the Illinois MRL Qualifying Divisions
Seeds for U14-U18 will be determined as follows:
- #1: Reigning State Cup Champion
- #2: Previous Year's State Cup Finalists
- #3-4: Previous Year's State Cup Semifinalists
- #5-6: Top MRL Teams based on Divsion and Standings
- #7-8: Top 2 Teams from Fall State Premiership
*All teams must show continuity of roster from previous year to retain seeds.
All other teams are placed in the competition based on a double blind draw.
HOW DOES THE GROUP SCORING WORK?
Teams will compete in the single elimination Open Cup until the Round of 16. The final 16 teams will compete in a points-based group round-robin format. Group winners advance to semifinal and then championship play. If only 16 teams apply then we start with the round robin format.
Group play will be based on the same scoring used at the US Youth Soccer Midwest Regionals:
- Win: 3 points
- Tie: 1 points
- Loss: 0 points
If group play ends in a tie, the following criteria will determine tie-breakers.
- 1st: Head-to-head
- 2nd: Most Wins
- 3rd: Goal Differential (4 goal max per game)
- 4th: Goals Allowed
- 5th: Penalty Kicks
HOW DO I SCHEDULE MY STATE CUP GAMES?
Most games will be assigned to play on a specific date, time and location:
- Open Cup: April 21 – Rockford
- Group Play: 2 of 3 group play games will be scheduled for May 12-13 in Rockford. The 3rd group play game will be home team host
- Quaterfinals & Semis: May 25-28 in Rockford
- Finals: June 2-3 in Rockford
With the exception of quarterfinals, semfinals and finals, teams can mutually agree to play their scheduled match PRIOR to the scheduled weekends but ALL matches must be played by the designated dates. Requests to play other than the Illinois Youth Soccer set location MUST be received by April 30. Requests received after April 30 will be subject to a $50 game change fee or may be declined. Team may be fined $250 per game for games not played by the scheduled date.
To play on a date and location other the set location, teams must mutually agree and submit the game change request to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than
- Open Cup game change requests must be recevied no later than March 16
- Group Play game change requests must be received no later than April 30
Game change requests received after the listed dates subject to $50 game change fee or may be game change may be declined.
All quarterfinals, semifinals and finals MUST be played on the listed date in Rockford.
TEAMS DO NOT ASSIGN REFEREES FOR HOME-TEAM-HOST GAMES. The State Cup Referee Assignor will assign the officiating crew upon receipt of the above listed information.
WHAT ARE THE TEAM REQUIREMENTS PRIOR TO OUR FIRST GAME?
NO LATER THAN 48- HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR FIRST HOME-TEAM HOME MATCH, TEAM MUST:
- Enter into the Official Illinois State Cup Roster in the GotSoccer Registration System all players who will be competing on your team in State Cup. The maximum number of players is Twenty-Two (22). Include every player even if a player may be missing the first game(s). Your roster FREEZES after your first match, NO ADDITIONS. Only players who are listed on the official State Cup roster are eligible to compete in State Cup.
- To Enter Players Into Your Tournament Roster
- Login to your team GotSoccer account
- You will be taken to your team’s Overview page. At the top of the page there is a Gray Bar that runs the length of the page; "Overview" is highlighted in light blue. On that bar click on ROSTER
- This will take you to your PRIMARY PLAYER LIST
- Add all your players here (NOT AS GUEST PLAYERS). To add players click the REGISTER NEW PLAYER button and enter the player’s info. The main information to enter is the player’s name, birthdate and id number. If the system asks for any other info (phone, email, etc.) you can just enter the club’s info
- After you have entered all the players, from the VIEW BY EVENT dropdown menu select the competition you arein. All the players you entered should now be listed.
- Once all players are entered click the GENERATE ROSTER button. This WILL FREEZE YOUR ROSTER. Do not freeze your roster until it is finalized.
- Roster is frozen after team's first match - players cannot be added after first match.
- Email email@example.com or fax (847-290-1576) a copy of your Illinois Youth Soccer competitive member league roster(s) for EACH PLAYER entered on your Official Entry Event roster in GotSoccer. Only players who are listed in GotSoccer are eligible to compete in State Cup.
WHAT DO I BRING TO MY STATE CUP MATCHES
Teams are responsible to print and bring their Game Card to each State Cup game. Here is how you print your Game Card:
- Log into your GotSoccer account
- Select the portion of the competitiion your team is competing in
- Open Cup
- State Cup Group Play
- Presidents Cup Group Play
- Select "Schedule"
- To download your Game Card for a specific game, go to the GRAY BOX with the PDF SYMBOL and a GAME # on the far left of the match listing. Just click on the game #, download, (you need PDF reader) and print that file.
Teams also bring the player cards and $80 referee fee to each State Cup match
WHAT DOES ILLINOIS YOUTH SOCCER PAY FOR EACH TEAM ADVANCING TO REGIONALS?
For each Illinois team that advances to the US Youth Soccer Midwest Regional Tournament, Illinois Youth Soccer pays the regional team entry fee and the cost to send an Illinois referee for each team to regionals. Illinois Youth Soccer pays approximately $2300 per team for the regionals.
State Cup champions also receive champion packets from Illinois Youth Soccer
Questions?? Contact Chris Jamrozy at firstname.lastname@example.org / 847-290-1577 ext. 103 or Bill Bruno at email@example.com